20110813

Upbraiding Tradition








My current work, Upbraiding Tradition was shortly performed this past Wednesday, starting from Parsons New School to Union Square, 14th street. I received many different reactions to the performance that day. Someone thought that we were "geishas", and we had some men come up to us and ask if our hair was real and that it was beautiful. That's exactly the reaction I hoped for. I guess, whether we're in the twenty-first century, or the Pre-Silla Dynasty, long hair will always be considered a sexual or a "beautiful" thing. I had many people at Union Square take photos of the performance, and someone actually stood behind me without me knowing, and posed for a photo. Some people thought the performance had to do with some kind of religion, which in some way it is.

In October, during the Art In Odd Places Ritual festival, Upbraiding Tradition will consist of 10 young women, and the performance will start from Avenue C. The dates and times for the performance will be October 1st and the 8th, 1pm-2pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment