20090326

I've been researching on artists that could inspire me to further my project on Sherie Rose. And I came upon this really awesome artist Edward Kienholz. Some of his art works do not relate to what I am trying to portray, but some pieces such as the image above relate to my work. I am having a hard time trying to bring in Sherie Rose's character into my installation without having her to be there in person. I used to perform as Sherie Rose, a women stuck in the 1990s, who has an obsession with a made up family. The problem with my performance was that no one was there at the studio building when I was there as Sherie Rose. And when people looked at my installation piece they could not relate the space to a certain character. Some people told me that they would've never known that a character named Sherie Rose performed there at certain times. They thought that the space was an area to give a nostalgic feeling.

This whole project has been going on for about a whole semester now, and it's been progressing, but progressing slowly. My project is about transformation and obsession. As I started this project, slowly I have become a director. At first there was only a space. Which was complied with Sherie's collections, photographs of people in antique frames, a fancy wall paper, a rug, a table with a type writer and a screen where Sherie hung her clothes. And this became a theatrical space, the stage. And when I performed as Sherie Rose, I had become the actor on stage.

Recently, I have been video taping myself as Sherie Rose. I will be screening her in my installation at all times so that people could meet her any time, not just when I am there to perform. And now my aspect of filming, is an act of an director. Maybe this is why so many people have been comparing my work to several directors or movies. Although I don't want to be compared to movies, because then my space would only remind people of that movie set, I still think it's interesting how they interpret my work.

1 comment:

  1. Have you considered living there for a while?

    http://www.moma.org/visit/calendar/exhibitions/322

    I think if you're going to push this character, might as well push it over the edge. I think absorbing yourself in the character could help other people to do the same.

    ReplyDelete